We are seeking a home care worker with proven medical respite background for care of our 13 year old son. A nurse or health care aide would be the ideal candidate, but someone with relevant experience and background in respite in the disability sector would be considered also.
This position is 20 hours a week, with shifts on Monday and Saturday; however, days can be negotiated differently with the other staff.
Our son is a very calm natured and a friend of everyone. He can walk with assistance, and is toileted by sign and schedule. We live about 8 minutes northwest of Stony Plain, AB.
*Please note there is no public transit to our community, so you must have a personal vehicle. Preference is given to local applicants for this reason.
Diagnosis: Hypomelanosis of Ito & Refractory Epilepsy. Medications: Tegretol, Sabril, Clobazam, and Cannabis Oil.
Feeding: Eats mostly orally, but is topped up by G-tube for hydration.
• Knowledge and sincere interest in working with children with developmental disabilities
• Experience in carrying out multidisciplinary therapy programming
• Confidence with Gtube usage
• Knowledge of seizures and seizure protocols
• Pediatric Experience
• Active Registration with CLPNA or CARNA for nursing applicants is required.
• HCA Certification or relevant experience with a background in respite in the disability sector may be considered in lieu of nursing credential.
• Reliable personal vehicle
• Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector
• Child Intervention Check (previously known as Child Welfare Check)
Responsibilities and Duties
• Therapy programming
• Total daily care
• Meal prep and feeding
• Medication administration
• Gtube use
• Lifts and Transfers
• Light housekeeping tasks related to care only (occasional laundry, meal clean up, keeping therapy supplies and equipment in order and clean)
Qualifications and Skills
• Self-starter, quick learner, ability to read charts and reports and implement programming and care with little direction and lots of compassion.
• Must be committed to carrying out physio, occupational and speech therapy programs which have been suggested and well documented by therapists.
This is a private position and there are no extended health benefits as you are considered self-employed. Pay is based on education, qualification and experience.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $20.00 – $26.00 /hour
Only applicants who attach a resume and a cover letter will be considered.
View original article here Source