Job title: Senior Software Engineer
The Role and Responsibilities:
Our new Commercial Services & Digital team will streamline and guide how we invest in and harness technology for Commercial. This team will modernize and digitize our manual processes, addressing pain points for employees and focus on initiatives for improving customer experiences. We see Commercial Services as the engine room with their focus on post-deal tasks such as invoicing, trade finance, shipping, and laytime. Commercial Services & Digital is a unique opportunity to bring digital closer to the business, create more synergies between teams, and bring business improvements to achieve business excellence.
We’re looking for an experienced senior software engineer who can independently work with end-users to derive competitive advantage and commercial differentiation using technology in the commercial business. You’ll work within the Commercial Services & Digital team which is accountable for delivering value to business groups within Rio Tinto Commercial. This role is a great opportunity for an accomplished engineer who takes pride in working closely with the business to solve problems, learn and pick up new technologies based on the needs of the organization, and level up on existing expertise.
Reporting to the Business Manager / PMO, you will be:
• Come ready to do the best work of your life and influence your team to do the same
• Be part of a business-facing development team to deliver new solutions for the commercial business.
• Converse directly with end-users to quickly automate processes and translate domain-specific business logic to working tools
• Collaborate with other developers, product analysts, solution architects, and testers as part of the wider team within the Commercial Services & Digital team.
• Contribute to analysis, design, and development of systems, business processes, data, and interfaces.
• Own all operational aspects of your code
• Support and enhance existing tools and applications utilized by a commercial business.
• Mentoring junior members of the team as well as within Commercial both in the technical and functional aspect
Qualifications and Skills:
• Experience in programming in Python and/or R
• Hands-on experience using front office End-User Computing (EUC) development tools (Excel 2016, Access, VBA)
• Experience with visualization tools, such as PowerBI
• Ability to work effectively as a team player and build collaborative/partnership relationships across a global organization
• Ability to work independently
• Great aptitude for learning, experimenting and picking up new technologies quickly
• Domain experience in commodities trading, market risk or financial services or middle office technology team
• Good knowledge of relational databases (SQL Server, Oracle, etc.)
• Knowledge of at least one core software development language (.Net, C#, VB, Java, etc.)
• Experience in using source control applications
It will also be beneficial if you have:
• Experience in working with geographically dispersed teams in a global organization
• Exposure to development and support in a trading floor environment.
• Experience with Agile SDLCs, particularly Scrum and Kanban
• Strong numerical skills, ideally with a numerate degree
View original article here Source